Saturday, March 28, 2015

Pre-deparutre Trinidad Tobago

Feb 15 - Predeparture Trinidad and Tobago

The pre departure, and the first, log. The expectations for this trip is simply just trying to beat the heat the first day and then dive right into seeing, learning and experiencing the country. While gazing over the academic part of the program, it came to my attention that I knew very little about Trinidad and water security other than the little research I have done. I’m hoping to gain insightful knowledge of water issues and measures the country is taking to implement to improve their water supply. Though, what issues remain a mystery to me, however, I can speculate non-potable water, lack of access and infrastructure to supply the population. These issues could be caused by several factors including lack of government funding resulting in poor infrastructure; poor management of consumption of water, especially ground water, reducing its reservoirs and not allowing time for it to replenish, resulting in invading rising sea water levels and salinating the ground water rendering the water non-potable; industries not being checked for compliance of environmental pollution causing chemicals to leak into the soil and subsequently into the drinking water.


Giving the itinerary a glance, I hope meeting with the organizations and individuals will give me more knowledge. One in particular I’m looking forward to is the Village Plaza with the aquaponic system. I’ve been wanting to build my own for some time now and would love to see how different systems are set up compared to the designs I had in mind. Hopefully I can learn also what species of fish are most resilient to cold climate (even though Trinidad is a hot weather area), what kind of design (sump tank, interval submersion, etc) would be best, what kind of media can sustain growing best (clay, float boards, etc) and how to control and balance the Ph levels every time the crops and or fish are harvested. Learning aquaponics could help with implementing an alternative source of agricultural practice as I understand it can help reduce water with irrigation while producing a high yield. This would be ideal for countries that are suffering from severe water stress and still be able to produce food, perhaps a country like Trinidad.


No comments:

Post a Comment