Sunday, October 5, 2014

Back at it!

My students in Tanzania during my placement
It's been a while since my last post. And it was about due for the next one. Just to play catch up, I started Masters in Development Practice at University of Waterloo... that's about it!

Remember how I said I wanted to start travelling with a purpose... well, here's my working toward it!

Travelling and exploring the world took hold of me at a young age. My sense of adventure took me through Europe while in undergrad. International Development and Relief and Aid Work popped onto my radar when I was working in South Korea when Mt. Merapi exploded in Indonesia in 2010. As I was taking a trip down there in the next week, I looked to see if there was any way I can help out the communities that were affected. While there, I asked locals how I can contribute. But ultimately, to my failing, I couldn’t find anyway to help. Questions about how to engage myself, how to travel with a purpose, and personal philosophies of my participation as a global citizen came up. This began my journey and exploration into development.



Mt Merapi post volcanic explosion
To my dismay, I couldn’t find any information about how to put a foot in the door to this field. I searched around for volunteer work to come to realize many organizations are out there to take my money and, questionably, help other communities in need. At which point I decided it was time I did more schooling to educate myself to further my opportunities. Unfortunately online schooling was the only possible way at that point in time. Through multiple six-week courses hosted by different universities, I learned about public community health, sustainable food systems and read case studies which were quite insightful. However none of this got me any further into the practices of development.


Having spent two months in India afterward, I saw many different NGO’s and local organizations organizing people and was eager to begin. Finally, my first foot in the door to learning about sustainable development took me to the outskirts of Kathmandu in Nepal in a sleepy town called Kavre. Here, I was a farm hand at a permaculture farm where I quickly learned that not only am I helping out the farm, but also the community at large. Micro economics of dealing with the produce at the local markets, helping out the neighbours farms, and especially participating in local events were an integral part of community development. Of course, this is not news to me, but it is the realization and reinforcement of the idea of the integration of the community members, support and care that exists for a community to thrive on such deep levels. (Read my farm experience here!)


Me in Kavre's potatoe fields after work
From that experience of a deep-rooted community I got flipped around. I had the chance to see a transient community with a very weak self-efficacy in South Africa, just outside of Cape Town in a township called Khayelitsha. In my studies, I had come across a case study of Khayelitsha and learned about how the community became strong through the public community health and the use of medical clinics. The empowering of women in those communities lead to a creation of a strong community. This is my first hand experience of learning seeing development of a community and it had me wanting more.
My buddy Omar's volunteer English school that I visited

Finally through CIDA funding, I was able to land myself in a facilitator role in Tanzania for youth empowerment as part of the UN MDG program. Here I did my very best to help Tanzanians understand community assessments and grant writing. I placed them in different communities, met with different community leaders and spoke with the members as part of the assessment process and help my students understand their role as a community developer. My placement was far too short and I felt I needed to learn much more.


Upon return to Canada, I got accepted into a Masters of Development Practice program spearheaded by the UN. Currently in this masters program, it is an understatement to say “I’m learning a lot”. I am incredibly eager to put theories and ideas into practice.

I'm going to start putting up things I learn about inequity and unbalance in the world. But also, the good things that people are doing around the world as well.

This is a whole new explorations evolution. Continuously evolving!

Follow me on my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment