Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Skiing in the desert

Atlantic Ocean in the horizon
"I will take you to my world record sand dune, Ian. It's bigger than 'The Matterhorn Dune." Henrik exclaimed excitedly.

I was already huffing and puffing up the sand dune in ski boots with skis on my back. The sand found its way in the ski boots and bore two nice holes in my shins.

"Let's do it!" I cried.

I'm in Namibia looking to get my skiing fix. It just so happens I was in Swakopmund where Henrik's office is based. I couldn't tell you where I saw an ad for his place, but it was from the corner of my eye. I Googled "skiing in Namibia" and he was the first hit that pops up.

Henrik holds the world record for the fastest time skiing on sand, clocked at 92.15 km/h. Henrik worked over ten years developping his special wax formula specially suited for skiing on sand. It's hard for him to hold back his excitement when he talks about the technical aspects of skiing.


Henrik at the top of Matterhorn Dune
From modest beginnings in East Berlin before the wall fell, his amazing story took him from competing in ski jumping into Namibia. After a life threatening accident, he climbed onto his skiis to set the world record and make a name for himself.

Sand skiing, especially in Namibia, is the most surreal thing ever. Being an avid skier, I was craving to get myself back on the slopes, but where to go except that giant pile of sand in the desert? When I climbed up to the top of Matterhorn dune to do a few runs, you could see right across the desert. And the Atlantic Coast line. It was the most bizaare site ever. It's like I was skiing in the world's biggest beach, as Namibia's desert ends right at the ocean.

Our camp for the day
His adventure lead us well into darkness, when the sand is at the optimal condition for skiing on because the wax required cool air, not because it was light sensitive. The last run I end up doing was on his dune that he set his world record on, under the stars, under the moon, no winds and next to the ocean.

Perfect conditions.

To find out more about Henrik and skiing in Namibia, check out http://www.ski-namibia.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment